A solid platform can be likened to a network of high-voltage electric towers. You know, the grid. For an author, a platform enables a longer reach, which in turn generates buzz. And, we hope, sales.
Successful indie authors advise the following:
- Release books consistently, two a year
- Blog regularly and engagingly about topics with universal appeal
- Grow a mailing list and put out a quarterly newsletter
- Utilize promotional tools like BookBub, including periodic price mark-downs, to gain exposure
The challenge lies in the execution of these! Because book production is the engine that drives the bus, I am finding ways to write consistently during the school year. Two books a year? I’m doing it backwards! One l-o-n-g book every two years is where I’m at with my new release. Oh well.
Next weekend I’m set to dive into the mailing list thing. Watch the sidebar for details. As for today, ha…
It’s the start of my ‘Edit Lockdown Weekend.’ Go, Laura, go!
- No school today
- Dinner already made
- Pomodoro timer at the ready, should I struggle with staying on task
- No laundry! No housework! No errands! (Because I have a “noble” excuse!)
So far, so good. I’m even “on time” with this blog post. I hope your Friday is a good one!